Author: Diego de Camargo

PRIMARY DOCUMENT

List of People on La Trinidad Expedition (August 1, 1566)

The following document, likely compiled on August 1, 1566, lists the members of a military and religious expedition to present-day Virginia, along with their parents’ names and residences. Two Dominican friars, three officials, and fifteen soldiers, in the company of a baptized Virginia Indian called Don Luís, were to sail on La Trinidad to Bahía Santa María, or the present-day Chesapeake Bay, and there establish a colony and convert the Indians. Storms forced them to Spain, instead. This document was written in the hand of Diego de Carmago, the expedition’s secretary. The records of the expedition are stored at Archivo General de Indias in Seville, Spain (Patronato Real 257, No. 3, R. 4). This English translation, by L. A. Vigneras, was originally published in the North Carolina Historical Review and is reprinted by permission.

PRIMARY DOCUMENT

La Trinidad Expedition Log (August 25, 1566)

In his expedition log, dated August 25, 1566, Diego de Carmago records that crew members from the Spanish ship La Trinidad, which carries two Dominican friars, fifteen soldiers, and the baptized Virginia Indian Don Luís, explore the coast of present-day North Carolina. The records of the expedition are stored at Archivo General de Indias in Seville, Spain (Patronato Real 257, No. 3, R. 4). This English translation, by L. A. Vigneras, was originally published in the North Carolina Historical Review and is reprinted by permission.

PRIMARY DOCUMENT

La Trinidad Expedition Log (August 24, 1566)

In his expedition log, dated August 24, 1566, Diego de Carmago records that the Spanish ship La Trinidad, carrying two Dominican friars, fifteen soldiers, and the baptized Virginia Indian Don Luís, anchors off the coast of present-day North Carolina. The records of the expedition are stored at Archivo General de Indias in Seville, Spain (Patronato Real 257, No. 3, R. 4). This English translation, by L. A. Vigneras, was originally published in the North Carolina Historical Review and is reprinted by permission.

PRIMARY DOCUMENT

La Trinidad Expedition Log (August 14, 1566)

In his expedition log, dated August 14, 1566, Diego de Carmago records that the Spanish ship La Trinidad, carrying two Dominican friars, fifteen soldiers, and the baptized Virginia Indian Don Luís, encounters a storm off the coast of present-day Maryland. The records of the expedition are stored at Archivo General de Indias in Seville, Spain (Patronato Real 257, No. 3, R. 4). This English translation, by L. A. Vigneras, was originally published in the North Carolina Historical Review and is reprinted by permission.

Sponsors  |  View all