Original Author: Charles Bruce and architect John Evans Johnson
Created: Between 1848 and 1850
Medium: Plantation mansion
This mid-nineteenth-century Gothic Revival mansion is the main residence at Staunton Hill, a plantation in Charlotte County that was built by the wealthy planter Charles Bruce and his wife, Sarah Alexander Seddon Bruce. During the Civil War the grounds of the estate were used as a training ground for Confederate artillery. This image came from A Handbook of Virginia (1910), published by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Immigration. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places.