An elegantly attired Joseph Reid Anderson stands with arms folded in this glass-plate photograph taken at the Cook studio in Richmond, Virginia, around 1890. A shrewd businessman, Anderson operated the Tredegar ironworks, which had supplied vast quantities of war matériel for the Confederacy during the Civil War. In the postwar years Anderson helped reorganize the company, and he remained one of Richmond's most successful and famous citizens, serving in the House of Delegates in 1874 and 1875 and again from 1877 to 1879. He was president of the Richmond Chamber of Commerce from 1874 to 1876, when he resigned to become president of the Richmond City Council. Anderson served on the vestry of Saint Paul's Episcopal Church from 1844 until his death and was a senior warden for twenty-one years. Anderson died on September 7, 1892, while visiting Isles of Shoals, New Hampshire, and was buried in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond.