MEDIA
Dining Room at Mount Vernon
Original Author: Walter Smalling Jr., photographer
Created: 2015
Medium: Digital photograph

Dining Room at Mount Vernon

The dining room at George Washington's Mount Vernon is part of the original house built in 1734. Some renovations were made over the years, including the elaborate plaster ceiling and ornamentation, which was commissioned in 1775. The ornate wooden mantelpiece was also added in 1775 and is credited to the English craftsman William Bernard Sears. According to a 1776 article in the Alexandria Gazette, the enslaved carpenter Sambo Anderson also played a key role in its creation. The author of the article noted that Sears "laid out the work there, and Sambo, with his force, did the manual labor." The bright verdigris green wall color is the same shade used in 1785.