MEDIA
Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind, ca. 1855
Original Author: Robert Cary Long, architect
Created: February 1855
Medium: Prints/Drawings, Black and white line engraving

Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind, ca. 1855

This illustration, published in the February 1855 issue of Harper's New Monthly Magazine, shows the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind as it appeared around that time. At the time the school was called the Virginia Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb and the Blind. The name was changed to reflect preferred terminology in 1899. Located in Staunton, the school was founded in 1839 with the intention of providing a quality education to white children in Virginia who were deaf or blind. The building was designed in a greek revival style by Maryland architect Robert Cary Long.