Created: Late nineteenth or early twentieth century
Medium: Photographic print
Telescope Inside Leander McCormick Observatory
An unidentified man, perhaps an astronomist or an official from the University of Virginia, looks into the telescope at the university's Leander McCormick Observatory. The observatory, which was largely funded by its namesake, Leander McCormick, was dedicated in 1885. At that time, this refractor telescope was the second largest in the world.
Citation: University of Virginia Visual History Collection, RG-30/1/10.011, prints09791. Special Collections, University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, VA