MEDIA
Mason's Hall
Original Author: C.O. Greene, photographer
Created: ca. 1930-1939
Medium: Photographs, Photograph

Mason’s Hall

This photograph, taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey in the 1930s, shows the altered and damaged original building of Elizabeth Bray Allen’s Smithfield school for poor children. When it was first constructed in the 1750s it was a one-story building. In 1788 the school was defunct, and the building was later altered and used as a Masonic Temple. The structure was torn down in 1953.