Warraskoyack Indians K-244
Near here, where the Pagan River empties into the James River stood the small village of Mokete of the Warraskoyack Indians. Another Warraskoyack village called Mathomank existed on Burwell’s Bay. The principal settlement of Warraskoyack was located inland near Smithfield. The Warraskoyacks occupied the James River shoreline at the mouth of the Pagan River and into the interior past Smithfield. John Smith traded with the Warraskoyacks as early as the fall of 1607, obtaining corn for the colonists. By 1610, however, hostilities had broken out with the English attacking the Warraskoyack, burning their homes, and destroying their cornfields.