MEDIA
Fort Murray
Original Author: Jeremy Horne
Created: 2012
Medium: Copy of a painting

Fort Murray

This artist’s rendering, painted by Jeremy Horne for a historical marker, shows what the hastily constructed log stockade of Fort Murray may have looked like. John Murray, fourth earl of Dunmore, called for the fort’s construction around November 14th, 1775, at a strategically important location near Great Bridge. Formerly enslaved people who had joined the Loyalists contributed most of the labor. The caption reads “Fort Murray, the British encampment at Great Bridge, takes its name from John Murray, 4th Earl of Dunmore, Virginia’s last Royal Governor, who sailed into Hampton Roads after feeling the Virginia capital at Williamsburg in June 1775.”