MEDIA
Wooden blockhouse and surrounding picket fence at Fort Meigs
Credit: Wikimedia
Original Author: Triple Tri
Created: September 28, 2008, photograph
Medium: Digital photograph

Fort Meigs

This photograph shows part of the reconstruction of historic Fort Meigs, a fortification built during the War of 1812 on the Maumee River in northwestern Ohio under the direction of William Henry Harrison, then general of the Army of the Northwest. The massive fort had eight blockhouses with a fifteen-foot picket fence on the perimeter. From April 28 until May 9, 1813, Harrison's troops at the fort successfully withstood a siege by the British and their Native American allies led by the Shawnee chief Tecumseh.

Sponsors  |  View all