Courthouse in Petersburg viewed at the end of a cobblestone street
Original Author: Unknown
Created: April 1865
Medium: Wet collodion glass-plate negative; one half of stereograph

Petersburg Courthouse

The Greek Revival building at the end of this cobblestone street in Petersburg was originally called Hustings Courthouse. (The term "husting" means a public place where political speeches are made.) Designed by Calvin Pollard and constructed between 1838 and 1840, the courthouse features a steeple with the statue of Justice on top. During the siege of Petersburg, which took place over nearly ten months during 1864–1865, the statue atop the tower was struck repeatedly by Union shells. Around 4 a.m. on April 3, 1865, a Michigan regiment entered the city and lowered the Confederate flag from the tower, marking the end of the siege. This photograph was taken not long after Union forces captured the city. The courthouse is still in use as Petersburg's circuit court.