In 1607, whenestablished the settlement at , the Chickahominy Indians lived in along the Chickahominy River, from the fall line of the river to its mouth. They spoke a and practiced a culture similar to the other Algonquian-speaking Indians of , a paramount chiefdom ruled in 1607 by . Although they lived in the heart of Tsenacomoco, the Chickahominy did not send a representative to the alliance’s council until around the year 1616. And rather than be ruled by a single weroance , or chief, they governed themselves through a council of elders.
Because of their proximity to Jamestown, the Chickahominy Indians had early contact with the English, trading withon his several voyages up the Chickahominy River in 1607 and teaching the colonists how to grow and preserve their own food. After the (1609–1614), the Chickahominy Indians negotiated an independent treaty with the English leader , becoming tributary allies of the , providing 300 bowmen in case of war with the Spanish, and paying a yearly tribute of two bushels of corn for every fighting man.
In 1644, the Chickahominy joined the paramount chiefin his attacks against the English. The concluding that war, in 1646, set aside land for Virginia Indians, including the Chickahominy, in the Pamunkey Neck area of present-day King William County. In 1677, the chief signed a with the English on behalf of several Indian groups, but the Chickahominy, joined by the , refused to become subservient to her or pay her tribute. After 1718, the Indians were forced to relocate, and by 1820 the Chickahominy Indians gradually had begun to settle in the tribe’s present-day location on Chickahominy Ridge. There they purchased land, built homes, and established the Samaria Indian Church.
The tribe nevertheless took steps to assert its identity. The Chickahominy tribe reorganized early in the 1900s. In 1901 an old church on tribal land was reorganized as the Samaria Indian Baptist Church, with 90 members in 1910 and 210 in 1945. A new church was built in 1962 and became the Samaria Baptist Church in 1987. On March 25, 1983, Virginia Joint Resolution 54 officially recognized the tribe, which is governed by a chief, two assistant chiefs, and a twelve-person council. The tribe was federally recognized on January 29, 2018.