This Greek Revival structure, probably built by enslaved laborers, is the historic Dinwiddie Courthouse (originally known as the Dinwiddie Court House) completed in 1851. The building was remodeled in 1858 when the courtroom was relocated to the upper level. The portico with Doric columns was added in 1933. The courthouse was in use through 1998 and is now home to a museum and the Dinwiddie County Historical Society.
One of the last battles of the Civil War took place at Dinwiddie Court House on March 31, 1865. Nine days later, Confederate general Robert E. Lee surrendered his Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Court House.