This restored version of Williamsburg's 1771 courthouse is currently part of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. The courthouse served its original purpose for over 160 years, though the the building was briefly used as a Confederate hospital after the Battle of Williamsburg during the Civil War. Renovations to the building were made in the nineteenth century, including the addition of columns under the portico. In 1911 a fire gutted the building, but the outer walls were left standing. Colonial Williamsburg eventually secured rights to the building and restored the structure to its original eighteenth-century appearance.