Cannonball in St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
Original Author: lori0f871, photographer
Created: May 11, 2007
Medium: Digital photograph, Photograph

Cannonball in St. Paul’s Episcopal Church

This photograph shows a cannonball lodged in the exterior wall of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, a remnant of John Murray, fourth earl of Dunmore's bombardment of the city of Norfolk on January 1, 1776. St. Paul’s Church was originally constructed in 1739 and is the only surviving colonial era building in Norfolk. By the 1830s the cannonball was no longer lodged in the church, but the damaged wall remained visible. When the cannonball was recovered in the 1840s it was returned to its original place, as a reminder of the bombardment.