C. Vernon Eddy was the first librarian of Winchester‘s Handley Library, serving from 1913 until 1959. The Winchester native began his professional career when he ran a printing company with his brother while still in school. The enterprise grew into one of the state’s largest publishers until it went bankrupt in 1904. He later moved to Philadelphia and eventually learned the library trade. In 1912 the board of trustees of the new library, built with funds provided by benefactor John Handley named him its librarian. Dealing with a limited budget, Eddy emphasized the acquisition of family papers while creating an accessible atmosphere for patrons. He also became known for cataloging the maps and papers of, a cartographer and topographer for Confederate generals and during the (1861–1865). Eddy died of heart disease in 1963.