Charles Carter, a son of, was a planter and member of the (1736–1764). Carter was educated in England and returned to in 1724, after which he moved to one of his father’s estates in Middlesex County. He later purchased a King George County plantation known as Cleve. (He was often referred to as Charles Carter of Cleve to distinguish him from relatives of the same name.) He served as a justice of the peace in King George County and as the commanding officer of the county militia. He helped establish three towns along the Rappahannock River. As a burgess, Carter became the most important lieutenant of , the Speaker of the House of Burgesses and the treasurer of the colony. He enlarged his own landholdings and advocated for the diversification of Virginia’s economy. To this end, he participated in some speculative schemes and pushed for agricultural reform. London’s Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce awarded Carter a medal for his wine-growing efforts.