This aerial photograph shows the CIA Headquarters at Langley as it looked in 1980. The original building is visible in the foreground. In 1955 Congress appropriated $51.5 million dollars for the purchase of land in Langley and the extension of the George Washington Parkway to suit the needs of a centralized CIA headquarters in the area. This involved displacing the predominantly Black community of Lincolnsville. Prior to the construction, the overt and covert branches of the CIA were housed in multiple different structures in Washington, D.C., which made classified communication a challenge.