This twentieth-century photograph of Ampthill depicts the once-grand brick mansion in a dilapidated condition. Henry Cary built the house around 1730 in what became Chesterfield County, and his son Archibald Cary took over the house at his death. In 1929 the house was dismantled and moved to Richmond.
Citation: Archibald Cary of Ampthill: Wheelhorse of the Revolution. F230 .C29 1937. Special Collections, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.