This is a virtual tour of Smith's Fort Plantation, an eighteenth-century manor house on the south side of the James River in Surry County. The house is located on the site of a fort planned by Captain John Smith. In 1608 Smith began construction of the fort, a distance away from the settlement at Jamestown. Construction was never completed, however, due to food shortages and conflicts with Indians. The paramount chief Powhatan, who controlled the region, later gave the land as a dowry to John Rolfe, who married Powhatan's daughter Pocahontas in 1614.
The extant brick house, built between 1751 and 1765, was home to Jacob Faulcon and his family and is now open to the public as a museum.