Created: Late nineteenth to early twentieth century
Eastern State Hospital
A group of unidentified men stands next to a brick building with barred windows on the campus of Eastern State Hospital in Williamsburg. The institution—the first in the country devoted to the care of the mentally ill—was established as the Public Hospital in June 1770 and began accepting patients in 1773. In 1894, the name of the institution was changed from Eastern Lunatic Asylum to Eastern State Hospital.
Citation: Cook Collection, Valentine Richmond History Center