Company Store Owned by the Stonega Coke and Coal Company
A window display in Wise County advertises items available for purchase in the store for $35.20. Pictured here in June 1921, the store was owned by the Stonega Coke and Coal Company. In addition to coffee, beans, sugar, cornmeal, lard, eggs, and other foodstuffs, one pair of overalls was included in the deal. Miners were often paid in some combination of cash and scrip. Company scrip could only be used in company-owned stores such as this one.