University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, Physical Laboratory, Front Elevation
An 1896 architectural plan shows the exterior of the Physical Laboratory (later known as Rouss Hall) at the University of Virginia as designed by Stanford White of the New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White. The detailed drawing notes the materials to be used in the construction: copper for the roof, cement for the pediment, and brick arches over the first floor windows with decorative cement keys at the center of them. Three statues of unidentified figures are shown at the entrance and the drawing notes that there are to be "ornamented mouldings" around the cornice of the building.
Citation: McKim, Mead & White architectural drawings, RG-31/1/2:2.872, Special Collections, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.