Side Elevation, Restoration of Rotunda, University of Virginia
An 1896 architectural plan shows a side view of the restored Rotunda at the University of Virginia. The building was destroyed by fire in 1895, and the New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White, with renowned architect Stanford White leading the design team, was hired to rebuild, and in some ways modify the Rotunda. The newly modeled Rotunda retained the Corinthian columns of Jefferson's original design and replicated his south side facade (at the left of the drawing); Stanford White, however, designed a Beaux-Arts-inspired forecourt on the north side of the building.
Citation: McKim, Mead & White architectural drawings, RG-31/1/2:2.872, Special Collections, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.