MEDIA
Enslaved household servants pose with white owners in front of a columned plantation house
Original Author: Unknown
Created: ca. 1858
Medium: Half-plate daguerreotype

The Grove Plantation

A carefully composed daguerreotype made about 1858 depicts the Grove, a Spotsylvania County plantation house owned by the physician and planter Dr. Alfred Jackson Boulware. (Since 1873 the house has been known as La Vista.) White family members—including a man in a top hat, several women, children, and a dog—are on the porch, as well as an enslaved house servant who holds a white baby. Other enslaved household servants stand in front of the house and on the second-floor balcony.

Sponsors  |  View all