St. George Tucker (1752–1827), an influential jurist and legal scholar, wears a powdered wig in this miniature watercolor on ivory. Portraits of Tucker are extremely rare, despite the fact that he was one of Williamsburg's best-known citizens. This image was painted by Pierre Henri, an itinerant French-born miniaturist known to have worked in Alexandria and Richmond, as well as in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Charleston, New York, and New Orleans. An inscription on the back of the portrait's frame probably dates to the middle of the twentieth century and reads:
St. George Tucker 1752-1828 [sic] graduated from William and Mary in 1772 Lieutenant Colonel at York Town married Frances Bland in 1778 Mother of John Randolph—Author of books on law and Chancellor of William and Mary College.