General Ulysses S. Grant’s headquarters in City Point
Union general Ulysses S. Grant and members of his staff sit in front of their field headquarters in City Point in late June or early July 1864. The general, seated third from left, had recently established his headquarters at City Point, which was strategically located at the confluence of the James and Appomattox rivers. During the summer months Grant and his staff lived in tents set up on the property of Dr. Richard Eppes, who was away from home working as a physician in the Confederate hospitals in Petersburg. By winter, the tent camp was replaced by wooden cabins. Grant directed most of the last months of the war from City Point.