Members of the "3rd Club" cadaver society at the University of Virginia pose with corpses and body parts in 1909. As part of their studies, these white medical students dissected corpses in the Anatomical Laboratory, a buding near the Anatomical Theatre on the university's grounds.
At bottom right is an African American man, probably a custodian who worked in the laboratory. Names are written on a coffin at left, among them "Frank Stiff Doctor."
Citation: University of Virginia Visual History Collection, RG-30/1/10.011, prints21920. Historical Collections & Services, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, Charlottesville, Va.