Henry Martin, the retired head janitor and bell-ringer at the University of Virginia, sits on the steps of the university chapel, where the bell hangs. The tolling of the bell marked time on grounds. Orginally located in the Rotunda, the bell was moved to the chapel after the Rotunda was extensively damaged in a fire on October 27, 1895.
Citation: Henry Martin. Special Collections, University of Virginia Library, Charlottesville, VA