St. Luke Bank and Trust Company
A postcard shows the St. Luke Bank and Trust Company on the corner of First and Marshall streets in Richmond. Maggie Lena Walker established the St. Luke Penny Savings Bank in 1903 under the aegis of the Independent Order of St. Luke. In 1910 the bank was reorganized and renamed the St. Luke Bank and Trust Company. Walker remained president of the bank, but it was no longer part of the Independent Order. During the Great Depression, while other banks failed, Walker kept the St. Luke bank alive by merging it with two other banks to create the Consolidated Bank and Trust Company in 1929.